New Zealand Bound


Three masted wooden sailing Barque

'Amelia Thompson' arrived New Plymouth, New Zealand 3rd September, 1841 with 187 Devonshire emigrants.

She sailed from London 25 March 1841 and arrived 5 months later with a call at Salvador, Bahia, Brazil for four days then onward to Wellington, for a fortnight stop. 

Included in the passengers list; 

65 Bayly Thomas 8 M 
65 Bayly William 6 M 
Baker Miss Charlotte F 
Bassett William M 
60 Bayly Ann 2 F 
67 Bayly Arthur 1 M 
60 Bayly Daniel 6 M

Rundle Sally-Ann F 
Rundle William M 
Sandercock Sarah F [later Mrs W. Bassett] 
Screech Caroline F 
Seccombe John 7 M 
64 Seccombe Richard 35 M Y 2 Agr. Labourer

 William Bassett and Sarah Sandercock married (1844) William Bassett

"AMELIA THOMPSON", Barque, 477 Tons. sailed from Plymouth, 25th March 1841, arrived 3rd Sept,1841 under the command of William Dawson. James Evans was Surgeon Superintendent.Wm.Thompson was the owner and Osberth Forsyth, the broker. 
Height between decks 6 and a half feet. 
John Watson first Mate, Murray second mate. William Black in charge of stores. This was the second of the 6 ships chartered by the Plymouth Company for the transport of goods and colonists to the newly founded settlement of New Plymouth, New Zealand. 
She was not engaged in the Australian trade route. The AMELIA THOMPSON crossed the equator on 23 April 1841 but the prevailing south winds carried them far to the west and no progress was being made so the decision was made to break the monotony of the voyage and make for Bahia (Salvador), Brazil. After 4 days of replenishing the ship they sailed east around the Cape of Good Hope and passing through Bass Straight, Australia July 15 finally reached the New Zealand coast 28 July. 5 days were spent between being becalmed and stormy weather which would not allow them into either Port Underwood (south) or Port Nicholson (north). 
Eventually they reached Wellington where they spent two weeks. On 13 August they sailed for New Plymouth but experienced similar conditions, having to shelter in tempestuous weather or were becalmed, reaching their destination 3 Sept. It took 13 days to unload passengers and goods as the ship lay many miles off shore as because of danger from currents, surf and reefs. Some of the longboats arrived in darkness and some were overturned but no lives were lost. 
It is reported there were 7 births and 7 deaths on the voyage. From there the ship returned to London via Batavia and Madras

The New Zealand Bassetts